Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Heartbreak beat

Heartbreak Beat~Psychedelic Furs
Most children I see with dyslexia don’t have problems with vision. What they have is a slight gap somewhere in their auditory system, or sense of hearing. They cannot translate the word they see on the page to the sound of a word in memory. Until they can do that .. it’s hard for them to recognize the word as something they’ve heard before. I have a theory. I believe that the first language we learn is the sound of our mother’s heart beat. It serves as an internal metronome ..setting the tempo that helps us follow the sound of speech. It marks the onset of phonemes and syllables, which then helps us identify words and sentences. Dr Oliver tells me that his stroke patients who lose their ability to speak can still sing. When they begin putting their words into a melody ..they can express themselves fluently. My friend Levi has MS. He uses music as a prosthesis. He my not be able to walk the same as he used to, but he can dance every bit as good. He thanks his early years spent at Grateful Dead concerts for that. What this suggests to me is that ‘keeping the beat’ may be a more fundamental process than learning to read or understand speech. So I’ve been pushing the envelope of my heartbeat theory ..to the annoyance of those around me. I’ve come to believe that the heartbeat we hear in the womb sets up an internal rhythm that helps us follow events for the rest of our lives. Without it ..everything we hear and see would simply appear as though they were coming out of nowhere ..then vanish into nowhere ..without coherence ..nothing helping us string them together.

No comments: