Monday, March 05, 2012

Going native

Economists tell me I make optimal decisions based on the best information available. They call this the ‘rational’ model of man. Neuroscience tells me my perception is selective, memory is faulty and decisions are mostly visceral. They call this the ‘somatic’ model of man. I think I’ll go with that. Without instinct, I’d never finish deciding what to eat or what to wear. I buy clothes that’ll make me look cool and acceptable to the people I hang with. I look for approval from my mother/dietician/checkout-girl whenever I buy groceries. I blow them off when I’m feeling rebellious. I make financial decisions fearing I’ll disappoint my father. I only bookmark pages I feel comfortable putting on facebook. I practice the ‘disarming smile’ out of fear of looking like a menace. I practice yoga to improve my posture and not come across looking like a slouch. I chose my words very carefully out of fear of looking foolish. Damn right my decisions are visceral. Appetite and desire for social approval guide my decisions just as much as any contributions from the rational side.

No comments: